Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Taking Home A Whale

As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, my goal is to be able to catch my own food...at least once in my life. On my past fishing trips I didn't even consider keeping any of my previous keeper bluegill, catfish, or crappie aka I was scared to touch the fish & to actually have to clean the fish. But it was about time for me to step up and get the job done.

So I grabbed a cooler and stopped by 7-11 on the way to the lake for some Ice. By day's end this cooler would be filled. Flash forward...It wasn't...crap...

After catching 5 delicious looking keeper sized crappie the day before and repeating the same rig and lake location this day, I yeilded 0 fish. After a few hours my ice was melting and I had no fish and I had lost 3 bobbers (beginner mistakes). This was going to be harder than I thought! Why didn't I bring the cooler yesterday!!!

Eventually I caught a bluegill that was iffy size. I looked at him and thought for probably 4 minutes about taking it home, but instead decided it was a hair too small and let the poor guy go. A mistake?




I continued to fish with no luck whatsoever. Was I going to go home empty handed after 5 fishing trips with good sized fish, all let go?! Was this $3 bag of ice a waste of money!! Why didn't I keep that gil!

Finally, a miracle happened. I snagged another bluegill. This one wasn't very big, maybe 6 inches, but it was bigger and fatter than the first one. This would do for my first fish cleaning experience. I placed the fish, named Gilly, in the cooler and headed home for the next part of the adventure...cleaning the fish...




Click Here To See The Day's Official Fishing Log

No comments:

Post a Comment