Thursday, May 1, 2014

It's Official...I Think I'm Going To Go Fishing

My interest in fishing is generated by my interest in survival. I love books like Verne's Mysterious Island and Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I love movies like Castaway and the Beach. I love TV shows like Survivor and Man vs Wild. All of these devices have one item in common. They all involve self-sustenance...on a beach. And when you are on a beach, there is one very important way to get food. Fishing.

While I do like fantasizing about being stranded on a desert island and catching delicious meals, I kind of like the idea that I can take up fishing as a fun hobby instead of a fight for survival. If I catch fish I am happy. If I fail I don't die. There is always a McDonalds nearby. How poetic.

I enjoy winning. I enjoy competing. I enjoy a good challenge. I enjoy learning. I enjoy mastering things. All of these traits make fishing a possible target hobby. But the main driving force that pushes me to the water is that yearning to be a survivor. Cue Destiny's Child.

In order to become Beyonce, I have one simple goal. I want to catch a fish, and then eat that fish. It is that simple. If I can do that, I will be satisfied. And the only way to accomplish that goal is to go fishing. This blog is going to chronicle my transformation from regular city guy to expert fisherman.

I guess I should probably stop typing and figure out how in the hell fishing works...maybe this guy can help:


No comments:

Post a Comment